Monday, March 16, 2009

Noonday seashore: a Haiku

...and now for something completely differenter. This is my first attempt at a haiku in Japanese. I provided fairly tight English translation which follows the meter.


昼の海
うるさい鴎
そよ風と

A noon-day seashore
Annoying, noisy seagull
With a gentle breeze



I think it has the greatest effect when you read on line at a time, slowly. I had in mind the shore of Lake Michigan in Saint Joseph, MI, where I grew up. There are lots of happy memories on those beaches. The seagulls can be really annoying, too :) . But please feel free to imagine any shore you like. I think Japanese can probably relate to this, since they are surrounded by ocean.

I used incomplete sentences, both in Japanese and English. I'm not exactly sure how it sounds to a native Japanese (please inform me!). So anyways, that's that. Please let me know what you think of either version! I'd appreciate critiques!

1 comment:

Gordon said...

For the insanely curious, here's a transliteration of the Japanese characters:

hiru no umi
urusai kamome
soyokazeto